• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Can I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against a Government Entity?

Learn More

government building and cop car

If you get injured by a private citizen, you can sue. If you get injured due to the actions or neglect of a government entity, you can also sue. In most situations, you can file a personal injury suit against the government. This kind of case can be a bit more complex than the traditional personal injury case though, so you should not be afraid to ask our New Jersey personal injury lawyers for some help.

Which Government Entities Can Be Sued?

There are a variety of government entities that can be sued for causing injuries and property damage in New Jersey. You could file suit against:

  • State, county, and municipality governments
  • State and local agencies
  • New Jersey State Police
  • New Jersey Transit
  • Individual school districts and Boards of Education

If you believe that a government entity caused you harm, you can probably file suit against them.

How Long Do I Have to Sue a Government Entity?

Most of the time, the statute of limitations for suing someone can be a few years long. The involvement of a government entity in your case changes that though. If you want to sue New Jersey, you have just 90 days to file what is known as a “Notice of Tort Claim.” If you do not file this on time or correctly, then you could lose your chance to pursue compensation.

Even if you are not sure about whether or not you want to pursue legal action, you should prepare to file this claim right away. Sometimes an injury from an accident does not become apparent until later, so it is best to keep your options open.

What Kind of Damages Can I Sue a Government Entity For?

The damages that can be awarded in a personal injury suit filed against a government entity are similar to those that can be awarded when you sue a private company or citizen. You can ask for:

  • Payment for medical bills and future medical care
  • Compensation that makes up for lost wages, past and future
  • Compensation for disability, impairment, or reduced quality of life

You can also sue for pain and suffering, but you must have a significant injury to do so. Permanent loss of a limb or body function is usually enough justification.

Should I Hire a Lawyer?

Suing the government can be tricky, and not just because of the condensed deadline for making a claim. Our lawyers will help you make a compelling case that can help you win enough compensation to make up for your injuries, expenses, and suffering.

Talk to Our Legal Team

When you are ready to sue a government entity, you need to act fast. So contact Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC to schedule your initial consultation. We can tell you more about our record of success and how we plan to help you fight for the compensation that you deserve.


Explore More of Our Practice Areas

Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC

We Are Ready To Hear From You Get A Free Consultation