• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Do I Need to Have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in New Jersey?

Learn More

cars involved in an accident

Not every type of car insurance coverage is mandatory, and the rules about which coverage you will need for your new vehicle can vary from state to state. One type of insurance coverage that you might be glad to have in an accident, even if your state does not require it, is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. As its name suggests, this coverage can help you when a driver who hits you has inadequate coverage or no insurance at all. Just remember that if you are injured in an accident and you need to sue for damages, our Essex County car accident lawyers can help you out no matter what kind of insurance coverage you have.

Does New Jersey Require Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

New Jersey actually does require uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, so you will have some protection against drivers who are not being responsible about their own insurance coverage. The state requires your policy to have coverage for bodily injury and property damage caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers.

The minimum for bodily injury coverage is $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident. The minimum for property damage coverage, like damage to your vehicle, is $5,000. There is a $500 deductible though, which means that you will end up paying out of pocket.

What Does Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Cover?

Normally, when you get hit by another driver and they are to blame, their liability coverage kicks in. This is required coverage for every driver, and it pays out for bodily injury and property damages when you are at fault for an accident.

Now when a driver does not have liability coverage, where does the money for your car repair or medical bills come from? It has to come from your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. So this type of insurance essentially gives you another layer of protection if you get hit.

Another nice thing about this coverage is that it can help you if you are involved in a hit-and-run. If you cannot find the driver who hit you, your accident can be treated like one involving an uninsured driver. So your own policy can pay out to cover your expenses.

Can I Still Pursue Compensation After an Accident?

Yes, you can. If you believe that another driver was responsible for an accident, you can pursue them for compensation. Even if your insurance company offers you money thanks to your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, there is nothing stopping you from suing for damages that can help you pay any bills stemming from the accident.

Reach Out to Our Law Firm

If the insurance companies are not offering you enough money to make up for your medical bills and lost wages, contact Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC. We can tell you more about your legal options and how our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you and your family pursue compensation.

Explore More of Our Practice Areas

Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC

We Are Ready To Hear From You Get A Free Consultation