• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Filing A Personal Injury Claim on Behalf of a Minor in New Jersey

Learn More

Your minor child has sustained injuries in an accident caused by the negligence of another person. Now, your child requires medical treatments for his or her injuries, but you might not be able to afford them. The Garden State does not allow your child to sue the responsible party on his or her own. In the Garden State, minors can’t file a claim nor be sued. So, their parents or legal guardians must file on their behalf. If the child does not have a parent, a petition can be filed with the court to appoint a guardian ad litem who can take responsibility for the case. To learn what you should know about filing a personal injury claim on behalf of a minor in New Jersey, please read on, then contact one of our experienced New Jersey premises liability lawyers.

How does a parent or guardian prove a personal injury case for a New Jersey minor?

A parent or legal guardian hoping to bolster their minor child’s personal injury case should obtain the child’s medical records relating to the accident, statements from witnesses, police reports and any photos or videos of the accident scene.

What can a parent or guardian sue for on behalf of a New Jersey minor?

In the state of New Jersey, parents or legal guardians can sue for two types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages relate to the financial burden of the minor’s injuries including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Hospital bills
  • Doctor’s visits
  • Physical therapy
  • Any and all medical treatments

Conversely, non-economic damages relate to non-monetary damages, including:

  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Disfigurement
  • Pain and suffering

If your minor child has suffered in any way because of the negligence of another person or party, you should reach out to one of our skilled New Jersey personal injury lawyers to discuss your next steps.

What can an Essex County personal injury attorney do for you?

Before anything else, an Essex County personal injury attorney will make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as they pertain to your child’s case so that you can make informed decisions. A qualified legal professional will also collect and present the necessary evidence in court. Do not undertake this process by yourself. Please give us a call today.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you or someone you know has sustained an injury, whether on the job, on the road, due to a medical professional’s negligence, or otherwise, our firm is here. Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC has helped countless victims of negligence over the years, and we are ready to do the same for you. Contact our firm today so we can get started.

Explore More of Our Practice Areas

Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC

We Are Ready To Hear From You Get A Free Consultation