What is driver negligence and how does it relate to car accidents?
All drivers must operate their vehicles safely and cautiously and follow traffic laws. Driver negligence is a result of drivers that fail to do this, which is one of the greatest causes of car accidents in New Jersey. The most common kinds of driver negligence include the following:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
- Texting and driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Carelessly changing lanes
What should I do after a car accident?
If you were hurt in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence and you would like to pursue legal action, you must take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can dispatch an ambulance, file an accident report, collect witness testimony and conduct chemical tests.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses to your accident. Witness testimony can be valuable proof for your future claim.
- Take several photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles involved in the collision.
- Even if you do not feel injured, you should still seek medical attention. In some instances, you can become injured without knowing, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Hire the services of a skilled New Jersey personal injury attorney. With the guidance of an attorney, you can go through the claims process with ease.
How long do I have to file a claim for car accidents in New Jersey?
If you were injured in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence, you will need to ensure that you promptly file your personal injury claim. The state of New Jersey has a statute of limitations of two years for most personal injury claims. This implies that you must file your car accident claim within two years from the date of the accident in order to receive the compensation you need.
Do not wait to reach out to our firm today. Our experienced legal team will be able to ensure that you have promptly filed your personal injury claim.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you or someone you know has sustained an injury, whether on the job, on the road, due to a medical professional’s negligence, or otherwise, our firm is here. Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC has helped countless victims of negligence over the years, and we are ready to do the same for you. Contact our firm today so we can get started.