• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

How Should I Handle a Slip and Fall on Government Property?

Learn More

slip and fall accident report with gavel

Filing a lawsuit against anyone can be a long, drawn-out, and complicated process, not to mention how costly it can be. However, when you are injured because of someone else’s actions or inaction you deserve to seek compensation. If you had a slip and fall accident on government property and were injured, you may wonder if you are able to pursue damages. Can you sue the government? Read on to find out and contact a New Jersey premises liability lawyer to learn more about your rights.

Are You Allowed to Sue the Government?

Certain public entities are immune from liability claims under what is known as sovereign immunity. Sovereign immunity is a legal doctrine that protects government entities from being sued without consent in both civil and criminal proceedings. Public and government entities are shielded from being sued by citizens. This immunity is often waived by state governments, but it stands in New Jersey. However, there are exceptions.

An injured or wronged citizen can sue the state or other public entities for associated damages. This means that while sovereign immunity is in effect if you had a slip and fall accident on government property you are allowed to pursue legal action and compensation for your injuries.

What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall on Government Property?

Whenever you sustain an injury due to another person or organization’s negligent behavior you may be entitled to collect compensation to cover your injuries. It is important to educate yourself on your rights as well as the actions you should take to ensure that you are following legal procedures. After a slip and fall on government property, you should:

  1. Find a trusted lawyer to work with. In any legal matter, it is beneficial to have a professional advocate on your side. The legal process can be tedious and overwhelming, so acquire the services of a legal professional to ease your worries. They will have extensive knowledge and be able to answer any questions you may have. They will also be able to inform you of your rights, statute of limitations, and proper procedures to ensure you have the best chance of being awarded the compensation you deserve.
  2. Seek medical attention. Before anything else, you should get to a hospital or doctor to be evaluated. Sometimes injuries are not immediately apparent or do not reveal themselves until later on. Seek treatment to ensure you are healthy and can be cared for if you are not. It is also important to have a paper trail of the steps you took for evidence in your case.
  3. Gather evidence. In addition to records of your medical visits, prescriptions, and expenses, take the time to gather evidence to prove that a hazard on the government property caused your accident. You and your attorney bear the burden of proof so request copies of any accident reports, police reports, surveillance cameras, and witness testimony. Try to take photos or videos at the scene of the accident for proof of the hazard whether it was a loose floorboard, wet floor, etc.

Explore More of Our Practice Areas

Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC

We Are Ready To Hear From You Get A Free Consultation