Summer is around the corner and it is almost time to get your bathing suit out of your closet. For many, swimming is a favorite pastime, and a great way to get exercise or just relax. But, swimming pools are notoriously dangerous and if pool owners and swimmers are not careful, life-altering accidents can occur. Read on to learn more about pool accidents in New Jersey.
What is Pool Owner Negligence?
The majority of pool accidents are caused by pool owner negligence. There are several ways in which a pool owner may be deemed negligent. Some examples of negligent behavior include:
- Swimming under the influence, or allowing others to do so
- Failing to install the necessary and compliant drain covers and fences
- Leaving small children in the pool unattended
- Leaving portable ladders into the pool up, even when it is not in use
- Failing to offer children who cannot stand floatation devices
Compensation for Swimming Pool Accidents
If pool owners fail to secure their pool and its surrounding areas, accidents can happen that cause serious injuries or even death. When this happens, people who are involved in the swimming pool accident may wish to hold the owner responsible for negligence. If they are successful in proving negligence, the injured party may be eligible to receive compensation for any damages incurred as a result of the accident.
How to Prove Negligence?
In order to prove that your accident was the result of another party’s negligence, you should do the following:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events which can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- Document the scene: Take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Go to the hospital: This will ensure that your injuries are treated while also providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pool accident in New Jersey, you will need an experienced attorney to advocate for you. Contact our firm today to speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you or someone you know has sustained an injury, whether on the job, on the road, due to a medical professional’s negligence, or otherwise, our firm is here. Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC has helped countless victims of negligence over the years, and we are ready to do the same for you. Contact our firm today so we can get started.