• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What to Know About Dram Shop Laws in New Jersey

Learn More

If you were injured in a car accident due to a drunk driver, you may be entitled to legal compensation for your burdens. Reach out to one of our Essex County drunk driver accident lawyers today to discuss the best course of action.

What should I do if I was injured in a drunk driving accident?

If you were hurt in a drunk driving accident as a result of another’s negligence, you will need to provide evidence pointing to the fact that your accident would not have occurred if the other party had not been drunk driving. If you are able, you will want to take the following steps following your accident:

  • Call 911: By calling the police, they can dispatch an ambulance to the scene and perform field sobriety tests and a breathalyzer test. This will help determine the driver’s intoxication level, which will act as a vital element in your case.
  • Document the scene: If you are able, take many photos and videos of the scene of the accident. It is important that you document the damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
  • Seek medical attention: Go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will assure that your injuries are properly treated, while concurrently supplying you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This can play a large role in a personal injury case. Make sure that you ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents. This documentation will be used in your future claim.

What are New Jersey’s dram shop laws?

In drunk driving accident cases, a drunk driver may not be the only person that is held responsible for the accident. The state of New Jersey has enacted dram shop laws that hold certain establishments liable if they are found to have overserved alcohol to the driver. In other words, certain establishments may be required to pay damages after an accident in the event that the customer was overserved and went on to injure another person. This may also be the case if the injured party can show the establishment or host continued to serve the driver while they were visibly drunk or under the legal drinking age of 21.

If you are in this situation, you are not alone. Our firm is here for you and will fight on your behalf to ensure that you obtain the compensation you need to feel whole again. Reach out to our legal team today to speak with one of our skilled Essex County drunk driver accident lawyer.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you or someone you know has sustained an injury, whether on the job, on the road, due to a medical professional’s negligence, or otherwise, our firm is here. Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC has helped countless victims of negligence over the years, and we are ready to do the same for you. Contact our firm today so we can get started.

Explore More of Our Practice Areas

Rubenstein, Berliner & Shinrod, LLC

We Are Ready To Hear From You Get A Free Consultation